Reading is Central to Every Child's Learning
Oakley CE Junior School believes that reading is central to a child’s understanding of the school curriculum and is of vital importance in life. Fluent readers can access a full range of life experiences and can enjoy an amazing breadth of genres and writers.
At Oakley CE Junior, we aim to develop a love and appreciation of reading which will stay with children for life. We hope to achieve this through careful planning and teaching using up-to-date strategies. We aim to use good reading materials and resources within Literacy lessons and Guided Reading sessions and to provide a breadth and range of reading material in school.
It is our aim to allow children the opportunity:
To experience reading in a variety of situations so that it becomes a pleasurable & productive experience.
To access a wide range of print materials, including all genres of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, plays & pupils own writing.
- To progress to becoming selective in their choice of reading materials.
- To be knowledgeable about the purpose and organisation of books.
- To nurture a love of reading.
- To learn to read through a variety of methods.
- To read to themselves or to others (peers and adults)
- To read to a variety of audiences and to hear adults and children read to them.
- To read regularly and to develop a respect for books.
- To receive reading provision and support appropriate to individual ability.
- To become aware of the link between reading and writing.
- To use ICT to further the development and love of reading.